My photo of Andromeda Galaxy, two scopes, done with DSLR

Share

# ACQUISITION AND PROCESSING DETAILS:

My latest #astrophotography photo. M31, plus of course, M32 and M110. I’m BipTunia on AstroBin if you want to add me or write to confirm I took this.

Taken with two scopes, total of 6 hours 39 minutes integration. Bortle 2.8, rural, north east Oregon farm.

This photo was done OSC (one-shot color), no filters, natural color. Did no Star Reduction. Tried it but liked it better without.

I use an IR modified DSLR, a Canon 90D, RedCat 51 telescope (250 mm), and Astro-Tech AT80ED (488 mm when adjusted for field flattener.) Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount. Guiding scope: ZWO 30mm Mini Guider Scope.

Guiding Camera: ZWO ASI120MM Mini. SharpCap on laptop for polar align and plate solving live. Used Phd2 on laptop for guiding.

All 60-second exposures, 800 ISO. Shot these this summer, previously output as two different images.

Went through images manually to remove any that had odd framing, were blurry (usually at the start of session before tracking gets good), or there was a cloud or airplane. Deleted any of those. I know it can be done automatically in DSS or in PixInsight, but I”m new enough to get a kick out of seeing each image and doing it myself.)

Stacked each scope set in DSS. Brought in lights, darks, flats, and dark flats I took during the session. Used defaults from there.

It’s been cloudy now for over a month where I live so I decided to reprocess and combine both scopes’ shots.

Brought output TIFF from each scope into PixInsight. Registered together in StarAlingment using one as reference for both.

Staked in ImageIntegration. First made copy of each since least you can stack is 3 images. Got one combined stacked Tiff, took into:

–AutoBackgroundExtractor. Target Image Correction (on bottom), Correction: set to DIVISION

Drag triangle onto image.

Delete ABE Background and Original file. Work now on (filename)_ABE

close AutoBackgroundExtractor.

–On ScreenTransferFunction, hit “Nuke” symbol

–Used RangeSelect / HDR MultiscaleTransform to bring out details while protecting core of M31 and M110 from being blown out.

–Applied BlurXterminator, with defaults.

–ColorCalibration / ColorCalibration. Hit little “document” icon (with nothing inside) at top below “workspace”.

Pick darkest small area of image, make a box.

On ColorCalibration, go down to BackGround Reference.

Click box to right of drop down area. Pick Preview01. Hit OK.

Change BackGround Reference Upper Limit to: 0.0050000

Drag triangle onto image.

close ColorCalibration.

============

ScreenTransferFunction: LINK LINK LINK and Nuke.

=====

SCNR. Drag triangle onto image. (set to green) close SCNR. or skip if you want to leave some green.

–(still open): ScreenTransferFunction. Stay linked. Hit + Click on color bar to Zoom a few times. Click Arrow. Hit arrow left / top right, then Slide to change Background color.

–HistogramTransformation

Drag ScreenTransferFunction triangle onto HistogramTransformation bottom of gray bar at bottom of entire window.

–Drag HistogramTransformation triangle to image. Image turns white.

–ScreenTransferFunction reset. Bottom values should now be higher.

–Applied NoiseXterminator with defaults.

OUTPUT UNCOMPRESSED TIFF, pick 16 bit, the default is always 32 bit.
Bring into Photoshop, increase contrast, brightness, and saturation a tiny bit on whole image.

Did cropping to remove some space where not a lot was happening, to make M31 take up more of image.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.